I recently purchased a new sugar thermometer and I’ve been dying to test it out. I figured the best way to break it on would be decadent vegan toffee shards.
This recipe has very few ingredients and is pretty simple as long as you have a thermometer. You can test the toffee by doing a hard crack test into a glass of ice water but I find that by the time I’ve gotten to the right stage and taken that time to test it, it’s gone over.
You can decorate these shards as you like but the combination of toasty nuts and dark chocolate is just divine.
What you’ll need:
For the toffee:
1 cup vegan butter or margarine
1 cup granulated white sugar
2 TBS water
1 tsp vanilla essence
For the topping:
150 g dark chocolate
½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
1 tsp sea salt
2 TBS cacao nibs
How to do it:
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and a good spray of non-stick spray. Or use a silpat.
- Take out a heavy bottomed saucepan, rather use one that’s too big rather than too small as the mixture will bubble a bit.
- Over a medium to high heat, melt the sugar, butter and water together. Keep it bubbling for about 10 minutes until it reaches 150°C (305°F) which is hard crack stage. Once it reaches about 100°C it heats up quickly so keep an eye on it. If it goes over the hard crack stage it will burn and taste bitter.
- Quickly stir in the vanilla and pour the toffee into your prepared tray.
- Leave to cool completely, about 40 mins.
- In a non-stick pan toast off the chopped pecan nuts until aromatic. This will take about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- When your toffee is cool it’s time to temper your chocolate.
- Put your chocolate into a microwave proof bowl and blast in the microwave for 15 second increments. Stir for 10 seconds between each 15 seconds. You don’t want to over cook it otherwise it will not set.
- Pour the tempered chocolate over the cooled toffee, sprinkle over the chocolate your nuts, cacao nibs and salt. Leave to set either at room temperature or if you’re in a hurry, in the fridge.
- When everything is set, break your toffee up into shards. These will keep for about 4-5 days in a sealed container. Do not keep in the fridge because the moisture will make it soft.