For the LOVE of SORGHUM!!!
Why are we crushing hard on sorghum flour? well it’s nutritious, celiac safe, easy to cook, versatile and sustainable – need more to convince you…
Well – Sorghum encompasses a number of sustainability factors that support an eco-friendly environment. Sorghum is among the most efficient crops in the conversion of solar energy. Due to its inherent drought-tolerant qualities, sorghum uses less water to grow than comparable crops. Stalks left over after sorghum harvest also help to reduce soil erosion and enhance soil organic matter.
Whats not to love……
So here we are putting all this love into a recipe involving another one of our crushes- PANCAKES!
SORGHUM PANCAKES INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp xylitol sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and milk until fully blended.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour and mix well until smooth.
- Put the butter in a pan under medium-low heat and let the butter melt.
- Use a scoop to pour the sorghum batter into the pan.
- After every 20 seconds, flip the pancake until it is fully done.
CHICKPEA RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
- 150 grams chickpeas
- 1 tomato
- 1 tbsp minestrone powder
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 2 heaped tbsp butter
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in a bowl.
- Rinse the chickpeas and pour them into a pot.
- Add 750 ml of water to the chickpeas and bring them to boil for 90 minutes under medium heat.
- Add salt to the chickpeas after 30 minutes of boiling.
- When the chickpeas are done cooking, add the butter and chopped garlic to the pot then sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the chickpeas and sprinkle turmeric powder then simmer for 5 minutes until the tomatoes are fully dissolved.
- Mix the minestrone with vegetable stock and pour it to the chickpeas.
- Let the chickpeas simmer and add more water for more soup.