This Savoury Quinoa Porridge for your wholegrain breakfast is a fabulous twist on the traditional sweet breakfast oats. It makes for a warm and nutritions start to your day and something different to mix up the normal routine. Quinoa is considered a superfood due to its high levels of fibre and protein, and has a deliciously nutty flavour, and has a number of amazing benefits you can check here. You could even use a mix of all 3 colours of quinoa to add extra colour. Its a hearty breakfast that is great for you.
Why we are so in LOVE with this breakfast?
- It’s low in sugar, high in protein: Unlike most breakfast options like smoothie bowls or granola, are high in sugar and carbs, but can lack protein. This breakfast Quinoa Porridge recipe changes all of that with low sugar and packed with protein.
- Have it your way – No matter your preference you can add | change | or mix it up. Turn it into a breakfast bowl and let the whole family choose their own topping. Winning!
Busy Life? No Problem
The beauty of this recipe and another reason we love this recipe is that you can prepare a big batch of the quinoa porridge ahead of time and use for your busy morning routine and simply heat up with a few fresh goodies to tart it up. As a busy mum or hectic work schedule – this recipe made ahead of time can be enjoyed throughout the week and keep you filled with energy all day.
- Vegetarians can add avocado, fried peppers or crumbled tempeh to bulk up this breakfast.
- Meat Eaters can add a fresh fried egg or try adding crumbled bacon, sausage, or ham.
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve until water runs clear. Transfer quinoa to a medium pot with water [enough to cover the quinoa] and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender and a white "tail" appears around each grain, about 15 minutes
- Place a frying pan over a low to medium heat and add the butter. Once melted, add the mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes. Set aside
- In a large pot, add the cooked quinoa + vegetable stock + garlic + mixed herbs + chilli flakes.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and turn off the heat. In a blender, add the quinoa and blend until smooth. Pour into bowls and top with cooked mushrooms + sliced parmesan + chilli flakes. Serve hot.