Ingredients for cookies:
- 100 ml egg whites (approximately 3 eggs)
- 50 grams castor sugar
- 100 grams icing sugar
- 100 grams coconut flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Ingredients for filling:
Instructions for cookies:
- In a bowl, mix the icing sugar, coconut flour, salt and cocoa powder.
- Sieve the flour mixture in a separate bowl to remove large bits of flour.
- In another bowl, pour your vanilla essence and food colouring to your egg whites.
- Use an electric mixer to whip the egg whites until they are frothy.
- Add castor sugar gradually and whip the eggs until the meringue reaches a soft peak stage. (this means that when you flip the bowl upside down, the meringue should not fall out).
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the meringue and use a spatula to fold the meringue.
- To know when your batter is ready it should have a “lava-like” consistency, forming a thick ribbon that slowly blends back into itself when drizzled from your spatula. A figure “8” test will tell you when the consistency is correct. The batter should drizzle off the spatula and form an eight. Stop immediately at this point.
- Pour the batter into a piping bag and pipe onto a sheet of parchment paper fixed to a baking sheet. You can use some batter as glue to hold the sheet steady. Also, pipe perpendicular to the surface and try to be consistent with the sizes.
- Tap the tray several times to remove air bubbles. Allow to sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool the cookies for 10 minutes.
- Pipe your filling onto the back of half the shells. Form a sandwich and enjoy!
Instructions for filling:
- In a bowl, mix the peanut butter and condensed milk until they are fully blended.
- Pour the icing sugar and use a spatula to mix the ingredients.
- Pour the filling into a piping bag.
Recipe and images supplied by Edenairs