It’s cold… and I mean COLD at the moment. So what better way to warm up with a uniquely smoky, full flavour fire roasted, tomato and red split lentil soup recipe.
Fire Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato & Red Lentil Soup
- Make yourself a big roaring fire to get a nice bed of coals, it’s great to use hard wood as the coals will keep their heat for longer.
- Make a bed of coals and place a grid over it. Then place the peppers, garlic and tomatoes on the grid and allow to cook through. It is good if the peel of the peppers blacken and blister a little so that you can let them cook and peel the skin right off. This can also be done in the oven if you don’t want to make a fire.
- Put a pot on the fire – I used our pothole pot and pour in a little olive oil along with the chopped onions, carrots and celery. You can take the whole bulb of garlic and squeeze the soft roasted insides into the pot. Stir and cook until browned.
- Then add in the chopped up roasted peppers and tomatoes, red lentils, stock and spices.
- Allow to cook for 30 minutes over a low heat. Keep stirring to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom and add more water if need be.
- You can taste the soup and add a little salt to your taste. I like to add all the stock before adding salt as stock can be quite salty.
- I served this with crispy tortillas, dukkha and lemon.
This recipe is one our most liked off our Instagram REELS so we thought you would enjoy having it here to keep.
Please let us know what you would like more of and we can tailor it to your needs. Stay tuned as we have more beautifully created recipes coming your way created for us especially by Amy over at An Earthen Life