I wrote this post on the 5th of June, World Environment day. After reading articles all day talking about climate change and massive plastic waste I was in shock and at the same time it made me think about what am I doing to change this situation?
Did you know that about 90% of the plastic worldwide is not recycled? Plastic takes more than 400 years to degrade, so most of it still exists in some form.
A research article published in 2015, estimated that 8 million metric tons of plastic ends up in the ocean every year. It’s almost impossible to quantify it.
Many campaigns are being created banning single-use plastic bags, plastic straws, plastic packaging and trying to create solutions accessible to all of us. The take-away coffee we drink every day, the groceries packed with plastic film and all the personal and household products are just a few examples of this plastic crisis!
The key words for us are: REFUSE, REDUCE, REUSE, and RECYCLE!
I believe we can all do more, even small changes make a difference.
This said, I’m going to teach you how to make naked body butter using an old plastic container as a mold [#reuse]. You can make it for yourself or give it as a gift to your friends and family. This way you’re helping to #reduce the plastic consumption and it’s made with 100% natural ingredients, which means it is good for you and great for the planet!
Before we start, let me introduce each ingredient:
- Cocoa Butter – it’s high in fatty acids which are great to hydrate and nourish the skin and improve elasticity. And yes, smells like chocolate!
- Beeswax – has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and it will increase the melting point of the butter for the perfect texture and consistency.
- Baobab Oil – rich oil full of Vitamins and Minerals, able to treat dry and itchy skin.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – packed with antioxidants and vitamins, hydrates the skin.
- Lavender Essential Oil – one of the most popular essential oils; helps to calm irritated skin and has powerful aromatherapy benefits helping with stress, insomnia and anxiety.
Ingredients to make 100g bar:
45g Cocoa Butter
20g Baobab Oil
+/- 40 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
Culinary scale, 1 spoon, 1 pan, 1 old glass jar and 1 old plastic container with lid.
- Add at least 3 fingers of water in the pan and warm it up in low heat.
- Put beeswax in the old glass jar and place the jar inside the pan to melt the beeswax. Make sure that the water doesn’t boil.
- Once the beeswax is melted (it can take a while), add the cocoa butter to melt it as well and wait until the mixture is completely clear like oil.
- In a separate container, add the lavender essential oil to the baobab oil.
- Once the mixture is completely melted and homogeneous, add all the other ingredients into the jar, mix well.
- With the help of a towel or kitchen cloth, remove the jar from the pan (be careful, the glass will be hot) and immediately pour the mixture into the plastic container.
- Close the container with a lid and place into the freezer for about 1 ½ hours to solidify the mixture
- Take the container out of the freezer. Flip the container taping on the back to detach the butter from the sides of the container.
- Apply generously on the skin. The good thing about it is: once the butter is finished, you don’t have any packaging to throw away! #winwin
Thinking about our future and about our planet is precious, but to be an example for younger generations is a blessing…
Created by @laecocentrica