This recipe is a slight adaption of a few recipes that have worked wonders and together make the perfect Coconut Cake. It is relatively easy to whip up and is great to keep in one’s repertoire for when you have to pull a cake out of a hat 😊
Ingredients – Makes 20 Squares
125g butter, softened
1 cup Castor sugar
½ cup Desiccated coconut
1½ cups Cake Wheat Flour
1¼ cups Sour cream
1/3 cup Milk
Coconut Ice Frosting
2 cups Icing sugar
11/3 cups Desiccated coconut
2 eggs whites, beaten lightly
Pink food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a 23cm cake pan.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in coconut, sifted flour, sour cream and milk, in 2 batches.
- Spread mixture into cake pan and bake for approx. 25 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Let cake stand in cake pan for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make coconut ice frosting by sifting the icing sugar into a medium bowl, stir in coconut and egg white. Tint with a 2 to 3 drops of food colouring and mix well.
- Once cake is completely cooled, smear the frosting over the top of the cake.