We’ve all been there… The undeniable munchies for something crunchy. It’s a beast, and more often than not, we don’t have a snack food item in our pantry, ready to go, that doesn’t come with a heart attack or worse, guilt!
So, feeling inspired, we decided to play around with some of our amazing chickpea flour that we keep in stock, to come up with a very tasty and addictive gluten-free, vegan and superfood cracker / chips.
AND… First time lucky! They are DELICIOUS!
We shaped ours into nachos, (for a recipe coming soon!) but you can cut them into any shape you’d like! They’re great for a cheese board, kids snacks (my 2 year old nephew LOVED them!), work lunches… The possibilities are endless!
They really turned out so well, and held their shape and crunch well.
We are quite proud of this goodie, so let us know what you think!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
250g Chickpea flour
10ml Pink himalayan salt
2 Tsp baking powder
2½ Tbsp chia seeds
½ Tsp dried chilli powder
2 Tsp mixed herbs
Freshly cracked black pepper
80ml Organic coconut oil, melted
2 Tsp crushed garlic (or 2 large garlic cloves, crushed)
¼ Cup warm water
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and pre-measure all of your ingredients.
- Sift the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, chia seeds, chilli, mixed herbs and black pepper) into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the melted coconut oil and garlic together . Pour into your dry ingredients and, using your hands, mix until the dough is crumbly.
- Add ¼ cup warm water and keep mixing until the dough comes together. If still a bit crumbly, add a teeny amount of more warm water and mix until it comes together. Do not overwork the dough.
Divide the dough in half. Place one half on a piece of parchment and roll out until about 6mm think. Please another piece of baking paper on top (you can also use wax wrap for this step) and continue to roll out until 2-3mm thick. We want to make it as thin as possible so that the chips are thin and crispy and light. Remove the top layer of baking paper and score the dough into the desired shape
Variation: Nachos: When you’ve rolled it out to about 6mm, cut out some triangles in freehand. Take a triangle and place it between two sheets of parchment and roll it out. It flattens it out in an organic ‘triangle’ shape which look less contrived
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 12-15 minutes until the chips are lightly golden around the edges, and firm to the touch. Enjoy!
If you decide to try this recipe out, please photograph your masterpiece and tag us on instagram @therefillerysa. We love seeing your photos!
This amazing recipe by | @Crumbs+Ink