This healthy recipe for Butternut and Cranberry Quinoa Salad combines’ protein rich red quinoa, soft butternut, sweet cranberries, fresh coriander and pumpkin seeds, all brought together by a balsamic and maple vinaigrette.
If you have not tried quinoa before, now is your chance as The Refillery stocks both the original and the red quinoa. Quinoa is naturally gluten-free, high in protein and one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids.
This superfood salad can be enjoyed as a main or a side, is vegan, but can also be enjoyed by meat-eaters too. You could also roast the butternut beforehand if you like, or add in tomatoes and feta.
I made this Quinoa salad for lunch when my mom came to visit me over Easter. She is a real healthy bunny and lives on vegetables so she loved this salad a lot!
Wishing all the mommies out there a Happy Mother’s Day.
Butternut & Cranberry Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup of cubed butternut
- ½ cup uncooked red quinoa
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Boil butternut cubes in water until soft. When the butternut is cooked, drain and then toss in half the vinaigrette* and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- While butternut is cooking, also cook the quinoa in a cup and a half of water (or cover with water) and boil until soft
- To assemble the salad, combine the cooked quinoa, chopped coriander, butternut, cranberries and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl. Add the other half of the vinaigrette and mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Chill in the refrigerator for couple of hours and serve
*For the vinaigrette – Whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste