We love brownies and so does Nina over at Flight Of Fancy with amazing beetroot brownie recipe that is undoubtably worthy a place in your recipe book
I absolutely love beetroot. It has so many uses, from drying, to a supplement or using as a homemade pigment. It has the most beautiful, earthy flavour that reminds me of being in a dark forest. Also let’s be honest, the pink that comes off this vegetable is pretty incredible.
It has so many health benefits, for example reducing blood pressure, boosting immunity and even an aphrodisiac (to name a few).
What you’ll need:
2 medium beetroots
180g Cake Wheat flour
80g cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Fine Salt
1 tsp vanilla paste
250g golden syrup (or maple syrup)
80g Coconut Sugar
Small handful of beetroot chips, blitzed in a food processor to powder.
100g Icing sugar, sifted
1 TBS almond milk
How to do it:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and spray a medium sized baking dish or square cake tin with non-stick spray.
- Wash and scrub your beetroot. Chop of the ends and cut the beetroot into smallish chunks.
- Boil these for about 15 minutes until almost soft.
- Chop up the cooked beetroot finely, or blitz in a food processor or Nutri-bullet. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add all of the brownie ingredients along with the chopped beetroot.
- Using a hand-held electric whisk, mix the ingredients until smooth and fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into your greased dish and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile mix the icing. Add the beetroot powder and icing sugar to a bowl.
- While stirring with a whisk, add the almond milk. Mix this until all combined. If the mixture is too runny add a bit more icing sugar until it has nice pipeable consistency.
- Scoop the icing into a small piping bag or contact cover with clingwarp until ready to use.
- When the brownies have cooled completely, cut into any sized block you desire and drizzle the beetroot icing over the top.
For more recipes by Nina – Go check out more recipes HERE