This heat is absolutely amazing and although i’m loving it, it is incredibly hot and sometimes just too hot to cook and eat a hot dish or slave in the kitchen. Plus my kids love helping [They call it helping] and my ‘control freak’ side with cooking struggles if things need tone accurate so the best way to get them involved and everyone happy is a good old fashioned smoothie. Packed with all the things I need to get into them, Vitamins, Omega’s, protein, fruit and something that fills them up.
Stevie and I had the best time making this “Very Berry Smoothie” and although Jackson is camera shy he loved the smoothie too. It’s a real treat for us all in fact!
Why add these superfoods?
- These tiny seeds pack a powerful punch.
- Packed with antioxidants
- One of the best sources of fibre
- High in protein and a good balance of essential amino acids
- High in Omega-3 fatty acid
- High in several nutrients important for healthy bones including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and protein.
- Help reduce blood sugar
To be honest the list goes on and on, but truly such an easy sneak in for us in our family and the kids call them chocolate sprinkles – #parentingwin
- These little hemp hearts are a complete source of protein, meaning that they provide all 9 essential amino acids.
- They are especially rich in an amino acid called arginine, which has benefits for heart health.
- A great source of Omega-3’s and are low in saturated fats and contain no trans fats.
- High in fibre meaning reduced appetite, weight management, stabilising blood sugar and promotes good gut health.
- They contain an impressive array of vitamins and minerals and are especially rich in Vitamin E, Magnesium, Potassium, iron, zinc and B vitamins.
- Not just for taste, this delish spice is also loaded with anti-oxidants as well as many anti-inflammatory properties. Plus i love it so it’s a must.
Want to read more about the benefits of Baobab Powder read up about it here
Very Berry Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen/frozen Blueberries
- 1/2 Cup Fresh/ Frozen strawberries
- 1/2 frozen/fresh banana
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2tbsp Hemp Hearts
- 2 tbsp Baobab powder
- Dash of Cinnamon
- 1 – 2 cup Nut Mylk [Find the product and recipe here] Obviously substitute with whatever liquid you prefer, yoghurt, milk, oat milk or water.
Some easy things to add nutrients and tastes and that extra UMPH! to your smoothie – Or in my case, whatever I need to sneak into my kids diet.
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter OR The OG Serendip
- Raw Cacao Powder to make it a bit chocolatey
- 2 tbsp Whey Protein powder
- 2 tbsp Pea protein powder
- Top with Coconut flakes
- Need it sweeter – Consider Dates OR Coconut Sugar Or Raw Honey Or Xylitol
Blend together in a high-speed blender for 60 seconds until smooth.
Pour into a glass and top with granola or coconut flakes or sprinkle with more hemp hearts.
Best enjoyed outside in the sun 🙂